Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"Getting Interviewed"

Last Friday myself and some of my fellow UA students had the opportunity to get interviewed by a reporter. She was interested in how students felt about Mayor Fenty and the recent school takeover. I was happy to be in the presence of a reporter because finally we could get our voices heard. All this time we have been going to school and enduring this nonsense of not having enough books, or the unkempt atmosphere of our school. This was an opportunity to tell those who are in charge what we really face behind closed school doors.

At first I thought it was going to be intimidating but it went smoother than I predicted. I felt like a famous person getting interviewed. There was a camera lady who would take our pictures as we talked to the reporter. The reporter took notes on what we said to include in her article that will appear in the Washington Post.

Everyone sat around the table giving their insight or describing how they feel about things. We all approved of Mayor Fenty and we hope that he made the right choice when he chose Ms. Rhee as chancellor. A lot of people doubt her ability to produce real change because she has no superintendent experience. I believe as long as she can stop everyone from saying what they are going to do and start actually putting it into play, then I am happy that she is apart of the team. So, hopefully we will see results soon, and DCPS can be what a school system should be like.

If you where in my situation how would you react?
What’s one thing you would have said about our school?
Do you think what we participated in will bring change? If so how?

No comments: